Keeping the central air conditioning system’s air filter clean and well maintained helps to ensure the optimal performance and efficiency of the system. In addition, a clean air filter improves the indoor air quality in the home, making a home a cleaner and healthier place to live. Changing the air filter is a simple task that a homeowner can perform in less than an hour of time.
The first step in changing the air filter is gathering the necessary supplies. To determine which AC filters are recommended for your particular central air conditioning system, refer to the owner’s manual. This publication will state the necessary dimensions and type of filter that the system requires. In addition to the filter, you may need supplies such as:
- A screwdriver to remove the metal housing that surrounds the filter
- Gloves to protect your hands from sharp metal edges
- A flashlight to visualize the filter
Changing the Filter
Now that you have gathered the necessary supplies, it is time to change the filter.
- Turn off the power to the air conditioning system.
- Locate the air filter. In most systems, it is a part of the indoor unit. If you have a packaged heat pump and air conditioner, it may be within the air handler. Use the flashlight to locate the filter.
- Use the screwdriver to remove the metal grille around the air filter.
- Slide the old air filter out of the housing.
- Slide the new air filter into the housing, using the arrows as a guide for correct orientation.
- Reattach the metal grille.
- Restore power to the air conditioning system.
- Dispose of the old air filter.
What to Do If You Encounter Problems
If you encounter any problems while performing air conditioner maintenance such as replacing the air filter, follow these steps:
- Verify that you purchased the correct size of air filter that the system requires.
- Double check that the filter is oriented correctly in the filter housing.
- Make sure that the grille is properly attached.
For the best system efficiency, change the air conditioner’s filter every three months as part of regular air conditioner maintenance. AC filters are an inexpensive investment that will easily pay for itself with improved system efficiency and longevity. For more information about properly maintaining air conditioning systems, call our staff at Accurate Comfort Services any time.