Many homeowners are looking for ways to cleanse and purify the indoor air. Ridding the indoor environment of toxins such as formaldehyde and benzene makes for better indoor air quality and a healthier home. According to a NASA research study, many types of indoor plants are more efficient than mechanical air purifiers at cleansing the indoor air.
Flowering Potted Plants
Flowering plants have the ability to bring color and vitality to a room. They act as multipurpose entities including as a focal point, centerpiece and air purifier. Potted flowering plants that clean the indoor air include:
- Gerbera Daisy (Scientific name Gerbera Jamesonii). These colorful flowers come in bright, vivid shades of orange, pink, yellow, crimson and white. They make the perfect addition to a dining room or home office.
- Pot Mum (Chrysantheium morifolium). These beauties offer plentiful blooms in shades of white, yellow, pink and purple. They are lovely on a kitchen windowsill or living room coffee table.
- Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum species). These tropical plants prefer low lighting and humid conditions such as what might be found in a bathroom.
Leafy Potted Plants
Even if you do not have a single green thumb, these leafy indoor plants are easy to grow, tolerate a wide range of conditions and will improve the indoor air quality.
- English Ivy (Hedera Helix). When growing naturally outdoors, most people consider English ivy a weed due to its invasive nature. However, when grown as a potted plant indoors, it excels at air purification.
- Mass cane/Corn Plant – (Dracaena Massangeana). Often marketed as “lucky bamboo”, this majestic plant grows tall with leafy fronds. It makes for a peaceful look in a bedroom or living area.
- Chinese Evergreen (Aglaonema Modestum). In Asia, this species of plant is considered lucky or a good omen. These come in foliage that is bright green or with other colors such as red or pink combined with green in the leaves.
Obtaining these plants requires just a trip to the local nursery. Growing house plants is a peaceful activity that can calm the spirit while at the same time creating a healthier, safer and more relaxing indoor environment. For information about air cleaning and purifying products and more tips on improving the air within your home, call our team at Accurate Comfort Services, Inc. any time.