We at Accurate Comfort Services are available 24 hours a day for all your AC repairs. However, before you call for service, you may want to do a little AC troubleshooting on your system. This will help avoid unnecessary service calls and charges when there is really nothing wrong with your air conditioner.
Why Won’t My Air Conditioner Turn On?
Don’t be embarrassed, it happens to everyone at least once. You think your air conditioner has stopped working and but there may be a simple and solvable explanation for it.
- Check the thermostat. Perhaps someone in your home set the temperature much higher than normal, and you need to lower the temperature. The battery in the thermostat may have died, and needs to be replaced to get your air conditioner running normally again.
- Make sure the power is on. As funny as it sounds, make sure electricity is being supplied to your unit. If it is, check out your circuit breakers and make sure the circuit hasn’t tripped. Reset the breaker and turn your air conditioner on. If the breaker trips, you should consider calling an electrician to inspect your wiring to make sure you do not a dangerous situation that could lead to a fire.
Keep Up With Maintenance
Every year, your system should be tuned up before the start of the cooling season, but there are steps you should perform throughout the year also. Continued maintenance by both you and a professional HVAC contractor will help avoid the need for unexpected AC repairs and prolong the life of your air conditioner.
Consider the following if your air conditioner is blowing warm air:
- Once again, check the thermostat. It may be possible that someone accidently switched the heat on instead of the air conditioning.
- When was the last time you changed your air conditioner’s air filter? Your air conditioner will be unable to properly cool the air in your home because it is unable to take in the correct amount of air. The air filter should be changed every month, or as needed during the cooling system to ensure proper airflow.
- Are your air registers and returns blocked by furniture, floor coverings, or drapes? Airflow to your air conditioner will suffer as a result. Be sure to keep these areas clear and vacuum as needed.
- Check the outdoor compressor/condenser unit. If there is debris or vegetation blocking airflow to your system, it will be unable to cool air; therefore, you need to clean this up. Your system may freeze up or overheat, causing the compressor to continually switch on and off without completing a complete cycle.
If after running through this list of AC troubleshooting tips, you find that your air conditioner is still not working, it is time to call the experts at Accurate Comfort Services. There may be other issues such as a refrigerant leak that should only be repaired by a trained professional. We have been performing routine air conditioner maintenance and repairs for homes in the Marco Island, FL, area for over 30 years and will be there when you need us.